Dangers of Air Fresheners and Plug-ins

I recently ran across a Pin on Pinterest, and it took me to this website where it gave a tutorial of DIY Wallflowers Scented Plugin. I thought, ‘What a great idea!’. Then I realized, I already diffuse doTERRA essential oils through a diffuser, why put them in a plug-in? As I was reading through the tutorial, I learned just how dangerous air fresheners and plug-ins are. On a personal note, I used a fragrance oil in an oil burner before I had guests over the other day. I ended up with an EXTREMELY bad headache, and I was dizzy the entire next day. I now believe this is what caused my excruciating headache and dizziness.

Dangers of Phthalates

The National Resources Defense Council, in a study of 14 different air fresheners, confirms that phthalates, a chemical found in many air fresheners that may cause reproductive problems and birth defects, was present in 86 percent of the products tested. Phthalates may cause the premature delivery of babies, speed the onset of puberty in girls and decrease sperm count in men.

Air Pollution

One of the biggest dangers in plug-in air fresheners is the air pollution it causes. According to a California Air Resources Board study, some air fresheners can produce toxic pollutants when used in the presence of ozone, which is a form of oxygen. In addition, when these chemicals are emitted from these plug ins, there is the concern of serious health issues such as respiratory issues.

Fire Hazards

Pinene, an extremely flammable ingredient, is commonly used in plug-in air fresheners. Plug-in air fresheners use a small heating element, which combined with flammable ingredients like the pinene, can be a fire hazard. It is important to note that 53,000 home fires occur each year because of the malfunction of electrical appliances, including plug-in air fresheners.

Toxic Ingredients

Toxic ingredients, such as formaldehyde, fragrance chemicals, dichlorobenzene and silica, are used in a variety of plug-in air freshener brands. These ingredients are highly dangerous if ingested accidentally, causing issues such as dizziness, nausea, a drop in blood pressure and convulsions. Since these plug-in air fresheners are in reach of small children and pets, it is of extreme concern for households with kids and pets in them.

Regulation of Plug-In Air Fresheners

Presently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate chemicals such as the phthalates present in air fresheners. In fact, air freshener labels need not even list phthalates among the product ingredients. Contrastly, the European Union, along with other countries worldwide, has banned the use of phthalates in children’s toys.

Factors Affecting Toxicity

Phthalates are especially dangerous because they can penetrate the skin and enter through the nasal cavity. Exposure levels to phthalates depend on several factors. In a spacious room, chemicals cannot diffuse as effectively as in a small enclosure. Additionally, your proximity to the plug-in unit can affect your intake of the toxin. Lastly, the length of time a person remains in a room furnished with a plug-in air freshener influences exposure levels.

Alternatives

doTERRA Essential Oils in a diffuser. You can also put 2-3 drops on a cotton ball and hide them throughout the house.

Also, things like taking the trash out daily, sprinkling Baking Soda in the bottom of the trash to help it absorb odors, fresh coffee grinds on the counter to help absorb odor, and opening up some windows to let it air out.

To order doTERRA essential oils and a diffuser, visit my website!
www.mydoterra.com/amberwright 

References:

The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6941471_toxicity-plug_in-air-fresheners.html#ixzz1cg8UGDxn

The Dangers in Plug-in Air Fresheners | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8085238_dangers-plugin-air-fresheners.html#ixzz1cg9zC1Ln

Comments are closed.
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: